Total Pageviews

Friday, 2 March 2012

Next Project - Felt.

So we have been given the brief for our next project...which I always find a rather daunting experience as you never know what your going to have to do next. Our new project is based on the theme of felt. We can use as much or as little felt as we like in our work and we can do whatever we like which is quite exciting/scary!We then have to exhibit our work which will be really nice, as people can come and have a look at what we have been up to!
 So this week I have mostly been researching some ideas...I always love this part of the project as you can spend hours browsing the internet, books and magazines...usually I find myself surfing through blog after blog which I love because they are so inspiring. I usually end up with a bit of a headache from all the ideas buzzing around in my brain. So are some pieces of research....

 I really like the thought of making some cute little bunting and my own pompoms :)

 Felt wall panels from
Selina Rose makes beautiful bespoke felt surfaces and home wears. I really love this wall panel as well as her throws and cushions.

 I am in love with these cushions, I think they are absolutely amazing. I really like the thought of making flowers from felt. Im definitely going to have a go at trying to make some - although I'm sure they won't look as good as these!!

Paper Cut Out...

I found this today while I was researching for my next project. It has little to do with felt but never mind, its cute! :)

Thursday, 1 March 2012

Wallpaper Project for Tracy Kendall

This is some of my samples from the first few weeks. I really liked the idea of working with blue colours and quite sheer transparent fabrics. I dyed some of my fabrics and used bleach to remove the dye from certain areas. I also went to a scrap store and managed to find some odd but interesting things, some of which I used to make my own sequins.
After playing around with the bleach I focused on trying out different brush strokes as they can give many different effects which can make interesting patterns. These are some small samples I made, using watercolours, disperse dyes which I then printed onto fabric and some using dye. The ink samples were my favourite as I found out the bleach works best with inks as it bleeds into the colours and creates some really nice effects.
This is my space at uni which Im very lucky to have. I decided to carry on with the brush stroke idea for my final design. I decided to use a combination of watercolours and inks on my final piece of wallpaper as I could make many more colours. I also used the bleach on certain sections.
This is my final piece of wallpaper finished. A whole 3 meters worth, which took around 9 hours to paint but I think it was worth it and I really enjoyed making it. Cant wait to put it up!