Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Planning....

Over the last couple of weeks I have been working hard on designing my own fonts and lettering for my final piece that will be exhibited at our end of year degree show.
 I have decided to go with the word 'happiness' I wanted to use a word that I liked and that would be in keeping with my textile work.
I have planned out all my letter designs and will be starting to drill the holes in my lovely piece of oak within the next couple of days. 
The idea is to then cross stitch the word happiness in garden twine as I want this piece of textile work to be more of an artwork that would be shown outside rather that being placed within an interior setting. Working with wood has been really different to what I usually do and I think sewing with twine will work well with the naturalness of the wood. I also think that once it is placed outside it will be interesting to see how it weathers and changes throughout the seasons. 
I want to get glassed placed over the top of the stitching, just to try and protect it slightly. I think this will help make it look more finished and more like a piece of art work rather than a sculpture. 
I am really enjoying this project. Although it can be quite hard working with wood and the drilling can be rather challenging I am really pleased with how it is going and Im excited to be starting my final piece and to see what people think!
Forgive me for not putting photos up of my progress, I just want to keep it as a bit of a surprise until it is completely finished.
Jessica.x 



No comments:

Post a Comment